Camp Scholarship Aid
2013 Camp Scholarship Application now available!
At the JCRS, we recognize the value of Jewish sleep-away camp as a unique opportunity for fun, personal growth and Jewish identity-building. Jewish sleep-away camp allows children to enjoy new social and learning experiences in a special environment that nurtures Jewish identity. The JCRS would like all interested children to have this opportunity, but we recognize that for many families, the high cost of overnight camp is prohibitive. Last year, the JCRS provided partial scholarship funding for over 300 children to attend Jewish camp. The amount of these scholarships varies in accordance with the circumstances of the child and family.
- Children must reside in the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Tennessee or Texas.
- Camper should be entering third to twelfth grade as of August 31, 2013.
- A camp must be a nonprofit sleep-away camp under Jewish auspices.
- Camps must be located anywhere in the U.S. or Canada. Camps located in Israel are not within the scope of this program budget.
It is the responsibility of the person submitting the application to ensure that the camp meets these qualifications. We have provided a list of camps below, attended by applicants 2011-12. Please check this list. If the camp that your child plans to attend is not on the list, contact the camp to make sure it complies with our criteria.
List of Camps
- Parents or guardians must provide family financial information. This information is maintained in private and is used by the JCRS solely to determine eligibility for a scholarship.
- It is the policy of the JCRS to obtain financial information from all legal parents and guardians of the applicant. Applications not containing this information will be marked “incomplete” and returned to the parents or guardian who submitted it.
- Parents or guardians must sign permission for the JCRS to collaborate with other local organizations that give camp assistance or scholarships. This allows the JCRS to distribute scholarship funds in a fair manner among as many families as possible.
- To receive maximum consideration, completed applications must be received no later than February 15, 2013. A completed date will not be entered until all requested information is received.
How to complete the application:
- Applications should be submitted electronically.
- Download the application below and save it to your computer. Save it as “First Name, Last Name, Camp Application”. Make sure to save it each time you work on it. Note: Applications are saved in Adobe Acrobat PDF format. You must use only Acrobat Reader. If you need to download the latest version, click here.
- You will also need to upload the following documents:
- Most Current Federal Tax Return (2012 tax return, if applying after April 15, 2013), complete with all forms and schedules. Make sure the tax return is a PDF file (and not a Turbo Tax .Tax2011 file)
- All 2011 W2s and/or 1099s forms (most current). (2012 W2s and/or 1099s if applying after January 31, 2013).
- Copy of current pay stub(s), if applicable.
- If these documents are not already computer files, you must scan them. Make sure to review the scanning instructions for your particular scanner. All pages of your tax return must be sent as a single PDF document. Both sides of your W2(s) must be sent as a single PDF document.
If you have more than one child applying to camp: Different campers in the same household may be combined on the same application if all of the campers share the same relationships with the same set of biological or custodial parents. Campers who have different biological or custodial parents from one another should be listed on separate applications.
Please be patient. It might take a few minutes to download.
Once you completed and saved the application and scanned all of your documents, return to this page. Then follow the prompts below.
Submit your application and documents
You will be directed to our secure site.
Once you successfully uploaded the application and documents, you will receive a confirmation email from our Camp Coordinator within a week. If you do not receive an email, please contact Janice Zuzalak at Janice@jcrs.org or (504) 828-6334.